Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Artist Repented

Pentimento - "A pentimento (plural pentimenti) is an alteration in a painting, evidenced by traces of previous work, showing that the artist has changed his mind as to the composition during the process of painting. The word derives from the Italian pentirsi, meaning to repent.
Pentimenti may show that a composition originally had an element, for example a head or a hand, in a slightly different place, or that an element no longer in the final painting was originally planned. The changes may have been done in the underdrawing of the painting, or by the visible layers of paint differing from the
underdrawing, or by the first painted treatment of the element having been over-painted.
Some pentimenti have always been visible on the final painting with careful inspection; others are revealed by the increasing transparency that some paint acquires after several centuries. "

There is a sermon in there somewhere. As I strive to become more transparent in my old age, the flaws, mistakes, beauty, wonder, memories and everything that has gone into the being-ness of this human, begins to show through the layers of carefully constructed painting I have done. Wonder what will show up. Can't remember with any certainty what my underdrawing started out to be.

2 comments:

terri said...

This is fabulous Marcell. I hope you'll keep it up and that it won't strike you as just a bunch of navel-gazing nonsense. Can I out you to my homies?

Marsyl said...

out away. thanks. navel gazing is nonsense, but I like nonsense. my favorite kind of sense. I think it's the sixth sense.