Thursday, April 9, 2009

A Genealogist’s Garden


A northern gardener surely cannot be surprised
By the rapid passing of the seasons
The urgent, boyant seedlings
seeking the spotlight
The unselfconscious bloom of summer
The sudden peak of beauty at harvest,
Which can only be discerned in looking back
And the long colorless decay
Buried under the cold
Of winter.

As I remove the detritus of death
From the sprouts of spring
I wonder.
How generations of my seedlings
Will continue their blooming
Long after the debris of my being
is swept away.

-Marsyl Dickinson Warren-

4 comments:

terri said...

so beautiful. thank you for sharing that. my favorite line is:

"The sudden peak of beauty at harvest, which can only be discerned in looking back"

staft said...

This is soooo beautiful my dear sister! How lucky I am to peek out at the newly transplanted garden gift from you, and count the ways you have tenderly treated me as one of your "seedlings" through the years! xoxo Kandice

Unknown said...

WOW!Is your real name Emily???

Ray Daniel said...

WOW! Is your real name Emily? And, no, I am not Unknown!