Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wish on a star

I wrote about my parent's brief lives in "Comet Dust", and it occured to me today that their lives were also like comets, shooting stars across our paths, and I have since lived in the sprinkle of light they left behind in their journey, a light full of gifts. It is easy to be sad when the star you are wishing on falls too fast. It is more challenging to remember its beauty and how magnificent the moment was. Even as the comet sputters out of steam hurtling through space, destined to burn out, it is glorious.

I have usually thought of myself as a slowly turning planet, large and colorful, with deep oceans, peaks of snow, dandelion fields and volcanic depths. I suppose, when seen from a distance as I surely will be someday in the not-distant-enough future, I may appear a little like a shooting star myself. If I leave only a small sample of the fairy dust that was created by my parent's orbit, I will have been successful in my life.


3 comments:

terri said...

sometimes you just destroy me with your words. it strikes me as odd that i am so close to you every day and these words are brewing in your mind somewhere. i'm so glad that our orbits collided.

Marsyl said...

right back at ya.

di said...

i wish i could find words to do justice to the depth and beauty that flows from you marsyl; alas i cannot. this is so rich, so lovely, and the picture...perfect.

you have done magnificent in meeting the challenge you describe and have conveyed it in a way that is pure brilliance to this star gazer.

love you even more every day.