
I spent this still cold March day at my home away from home, the Minnesota Historical Society library, doing research. I decided to see if I could find some probate records or wills of ancestors. I found the will of two of my 3rd grand-uncles, George F. Dickinson and Norman L. Dickinson. Lo and behold, it seems George had a son I had never heard of or seen any records of whatsoever. His name was June Russell Dickinson. Now, I thought, it can't be that hard to find records for a man named June. I finally found birth records for two men born in the 40's whose father was Russell June Dickinson - and from there I found Russell June's death record, which contained the name of his father (sure enough, George Dickinson) and mother, Julia Burkhardt. I did several searches through census records and finally found a June Dickinson who, at age 7, was living with a Edward and Julia Monroe in 1895.
Well, before you know it I've created all sorts of stories - what happened that little June was separated from his daddy before he was 7? Were George and Julia married - it would apear so, since June is named "Dickinson." How often did June and George get to see one another over the years? They did not live in the same county, and this was the early 1900's after all.
The will leaves June a sum of $25.oo, and George's other three children with his (second?) wife, Nettie, were left acerage, the remainder left to Nettie.
Hmmmm. Looks like another blended family mystery to unravel. My next move is to map out June's stepfamily as best as I can, track their locations and his half-siblings. If I get lucky I may be able to connect with one of his children or grandchildren, and fill in some of the mystery. I already feel emphathy for this stranger/cousin. Did he go to war? Was he surprised by his father's will? Did he always wonder how things might have been if his father was around? Was his stepfather kind to him?
I will never know all the answers, but one thing my research has taught me very well - everyone has a story. Sooner or later, we encounter the hard bits of life. For June, it looks like it might have been sooner.
UPDATE: 3-31-08
I have found June Russell's mom and stepdad in the census in Oregon in 1900 and 1910, along with his half brother, Louis. Russell (from now I'll just call him Russell) is not with them. He was only 12 in 1900, so he must be living with someone, somewhere. I have searched all the census records with every sort of configuration and misspelling I can think of, but can't find him anywhere. This is where all my persistence will have to kick in. He can't keep hiding from me forever!!!! I have found his social security number, and have written to the SSA for a copy of his original application, under the freedom of information act. I will try to track down Russell's children if they are still in the area.
I have also determined that Russell's parents, George and Julia, were indeed married at some point - the census shows that Julia's marriage to Edward Monroe is the second for them both. So perhaps I will be able to find a marriage record and divorce decree. With this adventure I have also found two other 'lost boys', Floyd and Earl, first cousins of Russell, nephews of George, living with George's brother, Norman, in Red Wing. Floyd and Earl's father, Charles, appears to have died, along with his wife, when the boys were young. Norman raised them, but later Floyd worked for George on his farm ( according to Floyd's WW1 draft record). So why were Floyd and Earl taken in by the family and working the land of Russell's dad, but Russell is not?
Why was Russell left behind when his mom and stepdad and brother went west? And who took him in? I just can't imagine leaving a 12 year old (or younger) in Minnesota while the rest of the family traveled to Oregon, maybe never to return. There were no quick forms of transportation in those days, no jets or super fast trains. Julia had to know she would rarely or never see Russell after leaving.
The immediate goal is to find Russell in the 1900 US census, the 1905 Minneosta census, and go from there. Since I have no other information on Julia's family, I will have to find out who they were as well, in case he is living with them and the census taker wrote his last name as Burkhardt instead of Dickinson.
stay tuned......
UPDATE 4/1/08
Yesterday evening I had a little tickle in my mind while working on this puzzle. I thought I remembered finding a little blurb in an old Pine Island Minnesota paper about George visiting Pierre, South Dakota with his brother Ed. There was a great migration to the Dakota territory in the latter half of the 19th century, the land was opened up for homesteading, and the newspapers of that era are full of notes about families packing up and heading out west. My own gggrandad lived near Pierre for a few years, one of his sons was born there. He faced numerous disasters there and returned to Minnesota - as did many families. Turns out the free land wasn't always worth the price. I looked through my postings on Ancestry.com for George -and sure enough, there was the item from October of 1885, George and his brother Edward had returned from a visit to Pierre, their former home. My gggrandfather was still living there in 1885, his son was born in 1887. Hmmm. Maybe this is why they are not in the Minnesota census in 1885. However, I'm not sure how this will help - unless it turns out Julia's family was also in Dakota, and they met there. I've got to get back to the library and figure out when George took over the farm in Minnesota. And look back over those old newspapers from the area with an eye to finding Russell in school records or - AH SCHOOL RECORDS!!! Why didn't I think of that before? Russell had to be in school somewhere. Down the rabbit trail I go. Wish me luck.
8 comments:
Hello
You popped up on one of my blogs. i glanced through some of your blogs here. I see family ties are sacred to you. I have to say i don't share that same zeal with most of my family. Maybe, in some ways, "family ties" are a lost art in America, or at least that has been my experience.
But the thing with my parents is very strong. I spent a majority of my teenage years at evil and intense war with them. When Christ came into my life in a very real way, it is then that one of the first things God did in my life was bring me at their feet in a reverence and honor that restored many lost years.
Your writing, your words are beautiful. I am sorta in awe here. Some of the expressions throughout these posts are so in depth and very poetically written. I do a little writing, but i am always stumbling across such gifting in our blogland that it greatly humbles me to stand in the midst of such talent, wisdom, and insight. I can tell you this it does make me somewhat ashamed to call my blog the poets pen, it almost seems as foolish to me standing in the shadow of such brilliance. I am very sincere in saying that.
You lost your parents i am sorry to hear that, it is very sad to me. My parents receive so much irreverence from my brother that i feel somehow responsible for his foolishness. Watching him makes me so aware of their feelings that all i can do at times is cry. As i am at this moment. Thanks for everything you have shared here and the blog comment. You are surely an example to someone who cannot cherish what they have.
It is sorta ironic because just today i was thinking how we are too blind to see some mistakes we make until it is too late. Sadly even if someone may warn us of the painful decisions we make we have no ear to hear the voice of wisdom.
ah, Poet, your blog is called the Poet's pen, not "The Poet". So, while it reflects you, it is only a reflection, a tool, and not the presence of you... You express a lot of life in your posts, and I am intrigued by your ability to get that accross so vibrantly in these little symbols we call letters - your tools, your 'pen', so to speak.
I am so very happy that you have had restoration of the lost years with your parents! If there is only one person who will seek that restoration because of what we share, it's all worth it, don't you think?
and thanks for the kind words.
hi marcell - thanks for visiting my cold lil corner of the world. ;o) the snow has been melting quickly since yesterday, thankfully.
i have been perusing your archives since yesterday & have finally arrived here at your most recent post. i'm someone who is fascinated with story also, so i find the research you're doing with geneaology utterly fascinating. i don't know anything about this june & never heard of him until this morning. but i am totally fascinated, wondering also what happened.
no doubt there's a story there. blessings to you as you dig deeper.
*kirsten
Kirsten, I plan to update this post as I uncover June's story. Stay warm and cozy - spring HAS to arrive at some point. Glad to be part of the bigger story with you.
marcell, i love the way you serve as witness to all of these old souls from the past. what a dignity. and no one will treat them with more care than you.
pretty rock you found there.
can't wait to know what's inside!
good luck~
check out the update y'all. My family just gets bigger and bigger.
Post a Comment