I spent three hours today in the company of June Russell Dickinson's son, Russell, and part of his family. I got a call on Thursday from Russell, Jr., a quick response to the letter I had sent him. We made plans to meet today and I printed out some info and pictures of his great grandad and grandmother, packed up my computer and camera, and drove the short distance to the home he rents to his lovely daughter, Julie, whom I also met.Many mysteries still remain about June Russell's life, but Russ Jr. told me a wonderful story that took place about 30 years ago. Russ Jr. was living in Oregon at the time, and had his father on his mind and heart. He felt impressed (had to be God, he says) to take some time off and go see his dad and re-connect. He drove to Minnesota and had to take a leave of absence from his work. Once here, the duo decided to take a trip to Pine Island, our ancestral home in Minnesota, so June could show Russ Jr. around his old stomping grounds. June agreed on the grounds that they 'wouldn't look anyone up.' Well, after a bit June's curiosity got the better of him, and they did go to his half-sister's farm (Ora Mae.) She opened the door, and was shocked to hear who was knocking - it seems she had been told June was dead. She asked him a sort of 'test' question - the name of the horse they had as kids, which was "Selum" - not a name one could easily guess! Of course June remembered it and was welcomed in. They spent a couple days in town, catching up, meeting some of June's nephews, and generally allowing some healing to happen.
June passed away two weeks later. Russ told me that June accepted Christ shortly before he died. I believe that maybe the healing that occured on that trip was a way for God to comfort June and help him find peace.
Now I have another little mystery - one of Russ Jr.'s brothers has been out of contact for several years. I think I know where he is. ..
3 comments:
very cool! it is amazing how you can keep all this straight and solve the puzzling details! do you think julie resembles allison? what a great reunion for you all today. i get how much this means to you but i am even more touched by how much it must have meant to russell to be sought after and found. like a blessing dropped into his life from heaven bearing gifts and a personalized treasure trove. you are beautiful lady.
that doggy is adorable too! looks rare...which seems fitting (:
This is such an amazing adventure you're on. And I've got to agree with Di, it must be great to be found by someone bearing these sorts of gifts.
Take care
couldn't agree more. i can't imagine what it must be like to have a distant family member descend from out of nowhere and "remember" you...to value your history and your lost loves this way. you're amazing marcell.
Post a Comment