Thursday, May 15, 2008

If I could make a day for you...

Once upon a time, I fell in love with a talking pig movie. Now, first of all, I really, really hate animal movies. But for some reason I took a chance on this one, and was delighted. It is a charming folk tale of "an unprejudiced heart." And I think a gentle propaganda film for vegetarianism. But, more importantly, God used a part of this film to impact me in a way that few things ever have. The music and the visual has become a sort of touch point for reminding me of His notice of me, and His keen knowledge of how my rather quirky spirit hears His voice.
The scene I refer to is where the little pig, Babe, has run away from home and gotten too sick and depressed to eat, because the farm cat has informed him of a pig's "purpose". Which, to the pig's horror, turns out to be that he is born to be eaten by humans. The farmer finally finds the little pig, brings him home, and tries to get him to take nourishment, to no avial. Suddenly, ... well, I'll let you watch it for yourself. Let me just say, God dances over us, no matter how sick, depressed, broken we are, or how long we have been dwelling in the pig pen, no matter how many lies we have been told and chosen to believe.




One morning a few years after seeing this film, I was pouring out my heart to God as I was driving, asking Him to please, please, please let me know He was there, that He saw and understood what I was going through. The very next second, Saint-Saens Symphony #3 flooded my ears, with that majestic organ sounding like Gabriel's trumpet. I cried and and laughed at the same time, reminded of the scene from "Babe", and knowing that God was in it with me all along.



7 comments:

di said...

you make me smile marcell...
and I don't want to want to like ham or pork chops ever again!

terri said...

i love that pig. and that movie. and that music. and you.

Anonymous said...

Marcell
This is so neat. I like that statement you made here, God dances over us no matter how sick, depressed, broken we are, or how long we have been dwelling in the pig pen, no matter how many lies we have been told and have chosen to believe.

I always feel like, even say, that once you have dealt with the same old crap over and over, it eats away at your hope, it strips it away piece by piece.

I have seen God move mountains for me when it comes to tangible things. But spiritually, i don't even have the faith of a mustard seed.

I have believed so many lies that i think truth can no longer find me.

I love the wording here, when you said, no matter how long we have been dwelling in the pig pen. Those words are so powerful, i wish i could believe them. i wish their breath could breathe new life in me. I comprehend them, but i can't embrace them.

Anyway thanks for the words, my unbelief does not change their power. It is a good thing that i have recently decided to stop eating pork before i read this blog.
peace......

James said...

Marcell,
You, my bloggin' friend have been tagged by Santiago for a meme mission!

Anonymous said...

Yes i second that Marcell, i wanted you to do one of these things too. 6 random things about yourself.

Marsyl said...

Tammy, I don't have the "gift" of faith like some people either. It is a daily and I do mean daily struggle for me. I just have to choose it over and over and over....I think that's why the scene with the farmer dancing was so powerful for me. because I am daily a depressed stick in the mud little piggy (it's all about ME) as far as faith goes, but God still tries everything to reach me.
Maybe you have more faith than you think. It's not a feeling, that's for sure. The fact that you say you HAVE SEEN God move mountains, tells me you do have some faith, because you recognize it was God doing the moving.
Don't be too hard on yourself, many great believers struggled with their faith regularly.

squirrelmama said...

Thanks from a fellow vegetarian for reminding us all that animals (even fictional movie animals) have the power to move us in wonderful ways. You told that story so well.